Thursday, March 29, 2012

Menu Planning

I don't know about you but menu planning is hard for me. It shouldn't be. I like to cook and I love to read recipes. The problem is that I can't seem to find the time and then I always want to try a new recipe instead of the tried and true.

So as a part of my effort to be more organized (more on that later), I have decided to try a few things.
1) Large batch cooking and freezing. I found two great cookbooks: Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer and of course Don't Panic - More Dinner's in the Freezer. So far everything I have made out of these books has been a hit with the family. One of the things I like about these books is that they give 3-4 ingredient amounts starting with enough for one meal (4-6 servings usually) and then increase x3, x6 and sometimes x9 so you can put the rest in the freezer. I think (don't quote me on this because I don't have the books in front of me to double-check) but I think that the authors are all pastors' wives here in the Denver area.

Source: amazon.com via Carol on Pinterest


Of course, finding the time to do the large batch cooking is another challenge of it's own.
2) Get out my slow cooker. I love my slow cooker but I generally only use it for chili or applesauce. My kids love homemade applesauce and making it the slow cooker means I don't have to stand at the stove at all and my house smells really, really good. I seem to have more time and energy early in the morning that I could prep the ingredients so why not throw it all in the slow cooker and be done? Now to find recipes that my kids will eat.
 

3) A menu board. A friend of mine found a menu board idea on Pinterest and made one herself. I absolutely love hers and it looks like something I could not only make but would actually use.




So I am trying to compile a list of meals that my family actually likes so I can get started. I plan to include things like ordering out/eating out and "Try New Recipe." But I just need to get the plan in place.

I will post about how it's going. Wish me luck! I'm excited to do this so that everyone knows what to expect for dinner and so I can do better grocery shopping.

2 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Look at my food board on Pinterest--I have several crockpot recipes pinned there, and when I make one I try to write a comment on it there to remind myself about what I'd do differently in the future, etc. So far everything I've tried from there has been good. One that stands out is the brown sugar and balsamic glazed pork loin (I've actually been making that for quite a while, it's one of our favorites). It's one of the first things I pinned, so it's down at the bottom. I think the girls will like it, since it's got a bit of sweetness. The only issue might be if Katherine is sensitive to soy, since there's soy sauce in it. The chicken tortilla soup I have pinned there was pretty good, too. Next time I'd just add more liquid and a bit more salt. The bbq chicken I have pinned was fine, nothing special, but it was easy.

Plain Jane said...

Thanks D! I will go and look. We usually are that into pork but I bet the girls would eat that one. It sounds yummy. We're trying to do fish at least once a week, too, which I can't do in the crockpot. But I have found marinades that are good. So I do what I like to call a reverse-marinade. Instead of making the marinade to pour over fresh fish and then freeze it for later, I pour the marinade over frozen fish and leave it in the fridge to thaw. Works great and I can buy frozen fish from Costco which is SO much cheaper.