Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ketchup, Catsup

Does anyone remember an episode of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns becomes bankrupt and has to fend for himself? In one scene, he is at the grocery store in the condiment aisle looking back and forth at the bottles. "Ketchup? Catsup? Ketchup? Catsup?" It made me giggle. But I am not here to shed light on the different spellings - though now I am feeling slightly compelled to do some research on it. No my friends, I am here to begin my ketchup-making journey.

"What? Make ketchup?" you may ask. "Why you would do that when you can easily buy tasty ketchup in the grocery store?" Because, my friends, I had a life-changing experience this weekend.

Friday was our 11th wedding anniversary. We couldn't get a sitter for the evening so my mother-in-law came to babysit during the day and my hubby and I went to lunch. We drove up to Boulder at ate at Salt (now my second favorite restaurant). Salt is a trendy little place on the Pearl Street Mall. Its philosophy is "farm-to-table" so everything is made from fresh, local ingredients; vegetables to meat to alcohol and everything in between. I had the most amazing burger and beer. BUT the thing that I cannot get off my mind was the freshly made ketchup. I tell you it was incredible. It's more than 48 hours later and I am still talking/thinking about it.


(not actually a photo from the restaurant because I didn't take my camera....but a recipe I found online and pinned)

So now I am out to find a homemade ketchup recipe. I can't face Heinz again - ever. I have found two recipes to try so far though one is in my canning book and I don't want to make that much if I don't like the taste of it. But I will be updating - with photos - soon. I can't wait much longer to have that fresh ketchup....catsup....again.

No comments: