Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pizza Soup

Since I've mentioned this soup to a couple of people lately who thought it sounded good, I decided to share the recipe. I never used to like soup but in the last year or two, I've had a change of heart. I particularly like tomato soups now - and those used to be my least favorite.

This soup is really easy, quick, kid-friendly (at least Elaine love it) and I think it does taste like pizza. And you can really customize it to your own tastes.

Here's the recipe as it appears in my book.

2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 1/2 cups water
1 pkg (3 1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
10 slices French bread, toasted
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring the tomatoes, soup and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Add the pepperoni, red and green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, sage, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and bubbly.

My notes: I don't like mushrooms so I don't put those in and I've been known to use Italian seasoning instead of the individual herbs. I also found that two whole bell peppers was too much. I use 1/3 - 1/2 of each bell pepper. Someday I might try adding other pizza toppings, like sausage.

Hope you like it!

2 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

I'm not a soup person, either--especially tomato soups--but Matt loves them. I think I'd be willing to try this one, though, as long as it didn't taste just like watery pizza sauce. It doesn't, does it? And I thought you said you puree it? Do you do that before you add the peppers and pepperonis?

Plain Jane said...

Yes, I should have added that to my notes. I don't use a potato masher for the tomaotes - i use am immersion blender so I don't have chunks of tomato.