Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Problem Solver

Elaine is 29 months old now and is quite the problem solver. So I had to share this story from yesterday.

Mid-morning, she usually gets a snack and gets to watch The Backyardigans (our favorite show - but that could be another post). Yesterday I have her milk and a cookie. I made sure she was all settled on the couch, watching her show, and then I left the room for a minute. While I was in another room, I heard her walking around (which is unusual when her show is on) and then I heard the gate at the top of the stairs close. So I got up to see what was going on. Elaine was walking back down to the tv with only her sippy cup in her hand. I looked up to the top of the stairs and our labrador, Riley, was behind the gate.

Me: Elaine, did you lock Riley upstairs?
Elaine: Yes.
Me: Why did you do that?
Elaine: Because he ate my cookie.

She never once called for me - she just quietly solved the problem herself. So she got a second cookie.

3 comments:

Plain Jane said...

I know Natalie doesn't look good in that picture but Elaine is actually smiling in it - and that's hard to get these days. I don't know how to crop with the new software we have - I have to learn.

Kellyry said...

Impressive! But I was constantly impressed with Elaine's advanced intelligence, speaking ability, etc.

DeniseMarie said...

How funny. That E, she's too smart for her own good.