Monday, April 7, 2008

More Knitting

Today, I finished the first baby sweater that I started. It required a lot more work in the blocking because I had to stretch the sleeves. As a good knitter (which I'm not yet but am slowly becoming) will tell you, it's very important to do the gauge swatch before starting a project. It's annoying to do because all you really want to do is start your new, exciting project. But trust me, you need to do the gauge until you get it right - even if you have to do it several times. I did a gauge swatch for this sweater twice till I thought it was close-enough. (I've only ever before knitted or crocheted scarves, blankets, etc. where the gauge wasn't extremely important.) When making clothing, gauge is important.

But I managed to fix the sleeves enough in the blocking that I could actually sew the sleeves in and finish it up today. I love it! I may end up moving the buttons farther from the edge so it closes tighter. But overall, I'm very pleased. Now I just have to wait till this fall when Natalie is big enough to wear it!

1 comment:

Kellyry said...

So sweet! I love the plum color.