Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weird

That's the perfect word for this day.

My wonderful mother-in-law came down today to help me get ready for our vacation. The house needs to be picked up, laundry needs to done and errands need to be run. Errands are so much easier without the kids along, am I right?

So I was out buying snacks, checking out library books, getting all the last minute stuff done. One of the stops was to sell some books that have been sitting in a box in the hallway for much longer than I'd like to admit.

I walk up to the counter to see what books, if any, the store will buy and the young man (I'm guessing maybe 22) says "So, what advice do you have for me?"

Eh?

Advice? Advice on what? Why are you asking me this? I haven't slept in almost two weeks and all I want to do is sell the books and get on with me day.

After a bit of stumbling and his cajoling me, I finally say "Sleep when you can." Sleep - or lack thereof - is on my mind today. Have I mentioned that I haven't slept in almost two weeks?

The chit-chat continues with this guy. He's getting married this summer; he asks about my kids, etc. The usual. Then he picks up a book about homeschooling and asks if I homeschool my kids. I respond that I do.

Now at this point, I know what's coming because I have had this conversation before. A lot. Some of the typical responses are:
"Oh...awkward....uncomfortable silence... Good for you."
"Oh...silence...How do you like that?"
"Oh...silence...Why did you decide to do that?"
"Oh, I looked into that but I just know I couldn't do it. I'm not that patient." (This response clearly from people who don't know me.)
Or my personal favorite from a couple of years ago when I announced my intention to homeschool: "Oh, I know someone who does that. I bet they have all the stuff [they could share with you]!"

(No, I don't know why they all start with "Oh.")

But this guy threw me for a huge loop. His response? "Aren't you afraid your kids are going to be weird?"

Huh?

If you know me, you know I am NOT good at thinking on my feet. Right now, eight hours later, I have a million excellent responses for him. But at that moment I couldn't come up with anything other than, "no."

I am sooooo eloquent.

Then he proceeds to tell me that he knows weird people who were homeschooled. You THINK they're normal but then one little thing gives it away and you realize, oh they're homeschooled. (His words - not mine - just my paraphrasing because I'm too sleep deprived to remember the exact words.)

I really thought this stereotype was starting to fade away. The one where the poor little homeschooled child sits at his/her little desk in the basement of the home and reads books and/or prays all day long. They don't play with other kids. They don't know to talk to other kids or adults or anyone for that matter unless it's their parents. They are socially awkward. They don't know how to think for themselves.

I don't deny that those types of kids are out there. The socially awkward part at least. But they are not exclusive to homeschoolers. If he's telling me that everyone who goes to public school is "normal" and everyone who doesn't is "weird," I would suggest he sit down with one of his yearbooks. There isn't a school anywhere in this country (dare I say, the world?) that doesn't have at least one weird kid. Who's not even homeschooled!

My kids are some of the most social creatures you will meet. They love people (this is from their father - clearly not from me) and they will talk to anyone of any age. They are normal kids. They have friends who are homeschooled, friends who go to private school, and friends who go to public school. That's right, I said friends. They have friends.


I have had time to think now and have so many things to say to "Woody" - yes that was his name - maybe I ought to go back tomorrow and share my thoughts. I'll think about it....if I get to sleep tonight.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

People really have no filters! Amazing that these stereotypes are still around, too. And it's even more frustrating that people saying things like this can sting, even if you know how untrue it is or how ignorant they are! I get so irritated when I mention wanting to have 5 kids and the most common reaction usually includes something about the Duggars... Really?? 5 kids. Not 20.

Love you, friend. Your girls are wonderful and so are you! :)