Tuesday, April 24, 2007

10,000 Chicken Recipes and Counting

Ok, so I've never counted how many chicken recipes I actually have but given my modest cookbook/magazine/card collection, I'm going to say that I'm the 1,000s for chicken recipes.

One of my more recent recipe acquisitions came from an unlikely (for me) source. I have always been mistrusting of food company's recipes (Kraft, Pillsbury, Campbells, etc). I don't know why. It makes sense that these people would have good recipes for their products but I just never try them. Somehow I ended up with a subscription to Kraft's magazine Food and Family (it's free and you can sign up for it and/or weekly emails on their website if you're interested: www.kraftfoods.com). This recipe appeared in two different issues, complete with comments from other consumers who all raved about it.

So, what the heck. I gave it a try. It is quite tasty and leftovers reheat pretty well. Since it's something I actually feel like eating now despite morning sickness, I figure that's a selling point for it too. Here it is. I hope you enjoy it. (D, this is already in your book.)

Buschetta Chicken Bake

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (I don't like big chunks of tomato so I use petite diced tomatoes)
1 pkg (6 oz) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced (or more, if you really love garlic like I do)
1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp dried basil (I don't ever measure - just sprinkle it on so the chicken is evenly sprinkled)1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (again, I don't measure this - just put on whatever looks good to you)
Preheat oven to 400. Place tomatoes in medium bowl. Add stuffing mix, water and garlic; stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

Place chicken in 13x9 baking dish; sprinkle with the basil and cheese. Top with stuffing mixture.

Bake 30 min or until chicken is cooked through.
This recipe can also be found on the back of the Stove Top Stuffing box.

4 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Hmm, it sounds interesting. What does the seasoning taste like--kind of Italian-y? From just the recipe ingredients it sounds like it would be bland, but I suppose the stuffing mix adds a lot of the flavor. What side dish would you recommend with it?

Kellyry said...

The Kraft magazine is neat; I get it too. (Hey! Not gonna pass up a free cooking magazine!)

Kellyry said...

Re. mistrustring food company recipes, I tend to feel the same way. I feel the same way about Pampered Chef (PC) recipes too, which always seem to indicate that only their products will yield the proper results:

"Take PC mixing bowl and PC wooden spoon and stir together ingredients. Then utilize the PC mix & chop to chop your nuts, which you'll sprinkle on top of your whatever after you pour it into the PC baking pan. Be sure to use your PC scraper spatula to get all of the ingredients out of the PC mixing bowl!"

Oy vey. Someone in their marketing product with the brilliant idea of recipe/product-integration should be fired for the overkill.

Plain Jane said...

It is Italian-y and actually quite flavorful with the basil and stuffing mix. I had the same concern before I tried it. I would just a side salad with it...maybe a green vegetable if you want to. But for us the dish is quite filling so I don't usually even make a separate side dish.

As for Pampered Chef, I totally agree with you. I like PC and have several stoneware dishes but they work just fine by themselves - without the other 200 PC products. It IS good marketing though, you're right.