Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Watch out!

I may be biased but I think my 18-month-old daughter is the sweetest little girl ever. She has her moments of insanity...but then who doesn't?

Recently she has been working on doors. Yesterday morning we were both in my bedroom - she was playing while I was getting dressed and ready for the day. She decided at one point to close the bedroom door but continued to hold onto the door and so smashed her finger in the process. She began to cry so naturally I ran to the door, opened it and then picked her up and hugged her. I wanted to look at her finger and see if it was really hurt. She must have been afraid that I was going to touch the hurt part because she suddenly started flailing her arms about. Unfortunately, I was holding her close to my face - in order to get a good look at the supposedly smashed finger. In the midst of the flailing, one of her fingernails caught me - right in the eye.

At this point, I am proud to say that I actually did remain fairly calm. I gently set her down and ran to the bathroom mirror to see if I was injured. I didn't see an injury (yes, I could still see). But I was crying now because I was in lots of pain. So I put in some "tears" that I keep on hand. That didn't really help....but it started feeling a little better after an hour.

In the afternoon though, when it was still hurting me, my sister and husband insisted that I go to the eye doctor. (Though she will deny it, my sister told me that if my cornea was scratched I might go blind.) So I went to the doctor and lo and behold...my cornea had a big scratch from the upper left corner of my eye down to almost the center. No wonder it hurt!

So, let this be a lesson to all mothers/aunts/visitors of one year olds. Do NOT let them near your face.

3 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

Is it possible to feel bad for you and still find this funny at the same time? I remember when Ryan Trerise was a wee little infant I was holding and cuddling him and he thrust his little baby hand up and one of his fingers poked right up my nostril and immediatelky gave me a bloody nose. It was painful and funny at the same time. But I have a question: Isn't this the second time in as many weeks that E has tried to scratch your eyes out....? :)

Kellyry said...

OUCH!

But no imminent blindness?

Plain Jane said...

No blindness...I have antibiotic eye drops now. Yes this is the second time - last week she scratched me near my eye (almost caught the corner). But that was on purpose because she was mad. And we dealt with that.... Actually my cousin's wife had her nose broken by their one-year-old. She threw her head backwards and hit her mother's nose. These kids are dangerous!!