Wednesday, March 7, 2007

People love to say salsa

So one of the things that I thought I would do in my blog is to review recipes. I will be honest and admit that it wasn't my idea. But I after having two people (the only 2 people to read my blog: Hi Denise and Kelly!) ask me to do this, I think it's a good idea.

I LOVE to cook. Cook, roast, bake, braise (ok, maybe not braise since I've never done it but I had to think of another cooking verb), you name it. Since I like to do a variety of things in the kitchen, the reviews will be of anything and everything.

I hope that you will recognize the title of the posting...it is from Seinfeld. And while I am a big Seinfeld fan, I need to state now that Seinfeld is NOT the reason that my daughter is named Elaine.

But I digress. My first recipe review is "Slow Cooked Salsa." I LOVE Mexican food and I always think it would be so much cheaper to make my own salsa. But I never got around to trying it. I recently came across a recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and today I tried it.

First of all, it was extremely easy to make. No chopping involved. That's definitely my favorite thing about this recipe.

If you like a thick salsa, you won't like this. This is a thin, restaurant-style salsa. I happen to like that...but not everyone does.

I have two issues with this recipe. I guess my first one is really more an issue with my appliances than an issue with the recipe. My food processor is old and the seals just aren't there. So I knew I couldn't put the salsa ingredients in without having salsa all over my kitchen counter and floor and cabinets. I tried my best blender (I have 2) but it just couldn't tackle the whole tomatoes. So I grabbed my immersion blender which actually worked very well.

My other issue is with the flavor. Although I actually put in more garlic and onion than the recipe called for, the tomato flavor is overwhelming. It needs the bite of onion, garlic and jalapeno to balance it out. I think more of those ingredients next time will help quite a bit. I also found it needed a lot of salt. Of course my husband thinks that I could live on a salt lick (which he threatens to buy for me)...but really it was too bland for anyone.

As I said I will definitely make this again and keep trying to get the blend of flavors that I like. Here's the recipe as it appears in the magazine. I will note the small changes that I made. Enjoy!


Slow Cooked Salsa
10 plum tomatoes
2 garlic cloves (I used 4)
1 small onion, cut into wedges (I used a large onion)
2 jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp. salt, optional (I used a couple of teaspoons at least and it still really wasn't enough)

Cut a small slit in two tomatoes (or in my case 4); insert a garlic close into each slit. Place tomatoes and onion in a slow cooker. Cut stems off jalapenos; remove seeds for a milder salsa. Place in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or till vegetables are softened; cool. (I didn't let it cool first. Oops!)


In a blender or food processor (or with an immersion blender), combine tomato mixture, cilantro and salt. Cover and process till smooth. Refrigerate the leftovers.
The notation in the magazine says that you can cook this on low too. Assume that 1 hour on high is equal to 2 - 2 1/2 hours on low.

9 comments:

Plain Jane said...

Wow! I see a ton of typos! My apologies. I promise to do a better job next time.

DeniseMarie said...

Hahaha! Well, you can go in and edit out the typos if you want, but they weren't so bad as to make it unreadable. I should know, after all. This sounds yum, and from your picture it's the exact consistency that I prefer. I printed it out and will definitely try it myself--after the wedding, of course, when I'm allowed to eat food again. :(

Plain Jane said...

I'm glad you told me that I could edit it after it was posted. I did that and now I think it reads much better. I hope it does at least.

Kellyry said...

This is the PERFECT consistency for salsa. For years I didnt eat salsa because I don't like chunks of raw tomatoes, but I like the zip & spice of the juice. When I discovered that some restaurants puree their salsa like this, it was then that I became a "chips & salsa" addict. Sigh...another unhealthy food to be addicted to...

(Yeah, we're Bloggers! & Commenters! Fun :-)

DeniseMarie said...

Is an immersion blender one of those long skinny type blenders with the little round blade on the bottom end.....? Like that I used to make shakes and smoothies with back when I was allowed to, you know, EAT?

Kellyry said...

All in the name of looking svelte on your wedding day...

Kellyry said...

Question about the recipe...Did you keep the jalapeno seeds in (for spicier)?

Plain Jane said...

I did keep in the seeds because I like a medium to medium-hot salsa. But I definitely needed more peppers to get that effect. I think next time I might use hotter peppers (not habanero hot). Plus it was easier to just chop off the tops of the jalapenos and throw them in whole. :) (I'll about being lazy.)

Kellyry said...

I like that plan (the one about being lazy).