Saturday, March 10, 2007

Reflections

My best friend is getting married next week (!!!) and is going to French Polynesia for her honeymoon. That's where I went on my honeymoon 6 years ago and right now it's all I can think about. I would HIGHLY recommend the islands for any vacation.

In order to prepare you, D, for what you're going to experience, here are my recollections of arriving in Papeete, Tahiti.

1. The international airport: This is the first time that I'd ever climbed down from that large an airplane. There is no jetway. The airport itself basically has no exterior walls. You walk through customs (little desks separated from each other by bamboo "walls") and then to the baggage claim. Again, no walls - just open air. (The domestic side of the Papeete airport is a whole other story....dirt floor, chickens running around....nothing like any airport I'd been in before.)

2. It was HUMID! We arrived around 7pm local time (after getting up about 4:30am MST and 7pm in Tahiti was 11pm for us) and it was still hot and humid.

3. The smell. Once we left the baggage claim and went outside to find transportation, the sweet smell of the tiare flower was everywhere. I can still remember the scent and I wish we had something like it here. Yes the tiare flower is related to the magnolia but for my money the smell just can't compare.

I'll stop there for now. I could go on for pages about how wonderful Tahiti was. The picture to the left is from Moorea - looking back at the island from our overwater bungalow at the hotel.

2 comments:

DeniseMarie said...

I CAN'T WAIT!!! The description of the airport reminds me of some of the airports on the smaller Hawaiian islands--all open air, like it should be a set on Gilligan's Island. As for the humidity, I'm planning on my hair being a frizzy mess for 7 straight days. So when we get back and I post pictures, you'll know the person with no face but just a brown fuzzy blur floating above the shoulders is me....

Kellyry said...

Its all about the right product to turn that frizz into sexy touselled (sp?) curls. :-)