Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Salsa Revisited

Well I just tried the salsa recipe again. I'm getting closer. The flavor is much better - not so tomatoey - but it still seems to be missing something. Here's what I tried this time.

In a slow cooker, I put:
10 plum/Roma tomatoes
8 cloves garlic (inserted into slits cut into 8 of the tomatoes)
1 medium white onion
4 jalapenos
2 serranos

That cooked on high for about 3 hours. I let it cool for about 45 minutes. Then I added a lot of salt and at least 1/2 cup of cilantro (I didn't measure it out this time). I blended that with my immersion blender. Unforunately, I overdid it a bit and it's a little soupy now. But I think it will thicken up a bit as it cools. I finished it off with the juice from 1 lime and a little more salt. This tastes mild at first....but the heat hits you after the fact. So if you don't like hot salsa, I'd cut back on the peppers. Or take out the seeds, which I didn't do.

I also thought about cutting back on the number of tomatoes but I like the volume of salsa that it makes (about 4-5 cups) so I decided to stick with 10 tomatoes this time.

It was much better though than the first time. Still missing a flavor....I just don't know what. So if anyone else tries it out and comes up with a good combination, let me know. I'll keep working on it.

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

I havent tried to make this recipe, but I find with a lot of tomato based items, such as when I make my marinara sauce, that a pinch (or three) of sugar does something to it. I takes away some of the acidity of the tomato without adding obvious sweetness, but also helps give it that little something that, when lacking,I usually describe as not being "full-bodied" enough. By that I mean the taste is there but not "rich" or complete enough. Its usually a pinch of something that takes care of that for me, but it drives me crazy till I figure out just what that something is. Maybe sugar is that something for the salsa?

Plain Jane said...

That's a good idea! I'll give that a try. Now that you say that, it seems like I've read that somewhere but I had forgotten. Thanks!