Monday, February 20, 2012

Being Thankful

This is a hard one. And it keeps hitting me in the forehead lately trying to remind me. I need to be thankful for everything that I have.

As I sit here and listen to my kids in the kitchen, who are supposed to be eating breakfast but instead are yelling and fighting, it's hard to be thankful that I get to be here with them all the time. If I think about it, of course, I AM thankful but in the midst of the day-to-day grind, it's difficult to remember.

I've talked with friends lately who are struggling with various problems and it makes me pause to think of all the things I ought be to thanking God for. So here goes a short list for today (in no particular order).

I am thankful for healthy children. I have a dear friend who just found out her two-month old baby (her first and only right now) has a degenerative muscle disease which has no cure. Her life expectancy is very short. I don't know how I could face something like that and am very fortunate that I have not had to.

I am thankful that only one of my children has food allergies and hers aren't as bad as they could be. So many people I know have multiple children with multiple allergies - soy, dairy, wheat, egg, peanut, etc. I wonder how these poor children eat anything. I am lucky that my child has only egg and peanut which are not extremely easy to avoid but easier than so many others. Aside from allergies and eczema, she is a happy healthy little girl.

I am thankful that, though we had a rough start, I never had any real problems with pregnancies. I have never suffered miscarriages as so many friends have or had unhealthy/difficult pregnancies.

I am thankful that I have a husband who supports me and the girls. It's not easy living on only one income. But we make it work because it's important to us for me to be home with them.

I am thankful that God pushed me into homeschooling. And He did push me. I didn't want to do it. And there are still days that I don't want to do it but they are fewer and farther between. There is nothing like watching the light come on in your child's head when they understand a concept (like addition or reading). Schooling is something I can't see handing over to anyone else. As much as they drive me crazy, I love spending each day with my kids and learning with them.

I am thankful that my parents are close by and are relatively healthy. And thankful for a wonderful sister and brother-in-law who I desperately wish lived closer to me.

I am thankful for my wonderful friends - both near-by and far away. I get in my weird funks from time to time and feel like no one wants to hear from me and has no interest in me. But if I truly think about it, it's not true. My friends care about me even if they are busy. It's just those stupid insecurities creeping up and taking over my head.

(I have to keep rereading the "thankful for my children" line as I sit here and listen to my oldest screaming, the baby whining about being in her highchair and the middle one knocking the bedroom door. It's one of those times that I wish I wasn't home with them.....but "this too shall pass.")

I am thankful for my home. I don't take care of it like I should but I do love it. Someday, house, I will be better at making time for you.

After talking with a friend last night, I realize that I ought be thankful for my body even though it's imperfect. That one.....well, that will take some time. But that's for another post another day.

A few months ago our pastor preached on this verse and it impacted me greatly. I have it on the wall in our home and have been trying to live by it.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  - I Thessalonians 5:16-18

I better stop hiding and go get my day started with the kiddos. Take a minute to count your blessings today. You'd be surprised how blessed you are when you really think about it.

No comments: