Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cookies With Apparently Nothing

A couple of days ago, I was looking for gluten-free products to try as I'm embarking on this new adventure trying to figure out how to help my youngest. I don't know if gluten is a problem or not but thinking it might be worth a try. I was in the baking aisle and found this.



Peanut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, wheat-free, gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.

What the heck, I figured. I know she needs to be peanut-free and egg-free....and possibly gluten-free. I made the cookies this morning and I'm here to report.

The cookies, first of all, were difficult to mix. The directions said to stir and the little picture showed a spoon. Butter, water, vanilla and the powdered mix were all I needed. But it stir well at all - even with really soft butter. I ended up creaming, which seemed to work fine. They baked up nicely. Very light and airy.

My little girl, who has never had a chocolate chip cookie before, seemed to like them. My husband declared they were light and he could stand eating them. I think they are a bit grainy and gritty. But overall the flavor isn't too bad.

The good news is that the baby's face didn't go all red when she ate the cookie. Though with chocolate chips smooshed all over her face, I can't be 100% sure.

A dear friend from my homeschool group is going to share some family approved recipes that are gluten-free. All five of her children are sensitive to gluten, and she is too. So she has had to experiment over the last several years. I'm hoping that I can benefit from her trials and errors. Then we'll can see if going gluten-free helps my little one.

No comments: